BACK TO TOP
Goan coconut pancakes
- 100g/4oz plain flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 150ml/5fl oz coconut milk
- 1 tbsp melted butter, plus extra for brushing
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- a good pinch of grated lemon zest
- a little oil or butter for making the pancakes and for greasing the pan
For the stuffing
- 10-12 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp golden raisins
- 80g/3oz palm molasses or jaggery, coarsely grated (or brown sugar)
- ¼tsp ground cardamom
- ¼tsp nutmeg, grated
- Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg, coconut milk and melted butter. Whisk to a smooth batter, then stir in the vanilla and lemon zest. It should have a thin pouring consistency.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the stuffing.
- Heat a little oil or butter in a 15-18cm/6-7in frying pan. Pour in enough batter to coat the bottom thinly, tilting the pan to spread it. Cook for 1 minute, until lightly browned underneath, then flip over and cook the other side. Turn out and make the remaining pancakes in the same way.
- Divide the filling between the pancakes and roll up. Place on individual serving plates, brush with melted butter and heat through under the grill.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.