Pork loin is spiced with cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, chilli and cloves for a fragrant Goan-style roast pork.
For the pork loin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 heaped tsp black peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 4 large dried red chillies, torn into pieces
- 1 heaped tsp ground turmeric
- 10cm/4in piece ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 long green chillies
- 4 small red onions, roughly chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz tamarind pulp
- 200ml/7fl oz palm vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 100ml/3½fl oz sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2kg/4lb 8oz rolled pork loin
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 350g/12oz pumpkin, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 3 small onions, cut into quarters
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
For the salad
- ½ head broccoli, broken into florets, stalk chopped
- 1 handful green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts,
- 2 tbsp shelled skin-on almonds or walnuts
- 4 free-range eggs
- 100g/3½oz spinach leaves, washed and shredded
For the seasoning
For the dressing
To make the pork loin, grind the cinnamon, peppercorns and cloves together in a spice grinder and gently toast in a dry frying pan over a low heat. Add the dried chillies and toast again, then leave to cool.
Place the turmeric, ginger, garlic, green chillies and red onions in a blender, along with the toasted spice mixture, tamarind pulp and vinegar. Add half of the oil, the sugar and salt and blend until smooth.
Rub three quarters of the spice mix into the pork meat and place in the fridge for at least an hour, ideally longer.
Place the potatoes, pumpkins and onions in a large roasting tin and coat in the remaining curry paste.
Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5 and heat the remaining oil in a separate roasting tin. Brown the pork on all sides in the oil, then remove it and sit it on top of the tray with the vegetables. Roast for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3 and cook for another hour, or until cooked. Set aside and keep warm while you make the salad.
To make the salad, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the broccoli for 2 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and place in iced water, then repeat with the beans.
Reduce the oven to 140C/120C Fan/Gas 1 and place the nuts in a baking tray. Roast for 20 minutes, then cool and chop into pieces.
Add the eggs to the boiling water and boil for 7 minutes, then remove and place in iced water to cool before peeling and cutting into pieces.
To make the dressing, mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
For the seasoning, increase the heat in your oven now to 150C/130C/Gas 2. Mix the seasoning ingredients and place on a tray with a non-stick mat on it. Place in the oven for five minutes, remove and stir with a wooden spatula and place back in the oven. Repeat the process in the next two or three minutes and check to see if the sugar has melted into the rest. When the sugar melts, mix well and do not place it back. Stir and let cool. It will be crisp and crunchy.
To serve, place the broccoli, beans and spinach in a serving bowl, drizzle with the dressing and top with the nuts, egg and the seasoning. Slice the pork loin, scatter with the coriander and serve alongside the salad.